Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Treasure This Time Tuesday - Tips for Scrapping Boys

My scrapbooking hobby began with my oldest son and today I think my ten year old is my biggest challenge to get good pictures of and tell stories about. He's much more stable and not changing nearly as much as the others and definitely doesn't love having his picture taken. For this week's edition of Treasure This Time Tuesday I am sharing a layout I created about him.

I have three sons so I have gotten pretty experienced with telling the stories of boys.  
Here's some tips I have for approaching scrapping a boy:
1) Stick with some traditional boy colors but throw in something for an extra pop of color to make it interesting.  The orange helps achieve that in the layout above.
2) Stars and circles make great embellishments and are a staple in my scrapping style.  I have metal dies and punches to take advantage of for stars and circles.
3) Take the elements that you like from a feminine layout and replace them with masculine ones - this layout about could easily be made for a girl if you change the colors and switch out stars for hearts. The same can be done for boys!  
4) If your boys don't like having their picture taken (my daughter definitely prefers it) then try to get at least one good shot of them a month.  Watch as they are doing something and shoot - it doesn't have to be posed.  The picture in the layout above was from my son playing with his brothers and he just happened to look up. Had it been posed the smile would have been much more forced.
5) Don't forget to tell the story of who they are beyond the picture!  My goal with Treasure This Time Tuesday is to do that.  I included three circles that tell three little things about him here and now.

What are some of your favorite tips for scrapping boys? I'd love to hear them!  

Supplies Used:
Patterned Paper: Core'dinations
Stickers: Jillibean Soup & Bella Blvd

2 comments:

Cheryl W. said...

What a handsome young man! The layout is great, but that photo is awesome.

SHartl said...

What a fun layout and thanks so much for the tips on scrapping boy layouts!! Especially like the suggestion to just try to take candid photos if your kids don't like to pose!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...